How to Donate Your Vehicle
We try to make donating your car as quick and easy as possible for you. The process will be complete after just four easy steps:
- Call one of our customer service representatives at 1-202-461-2057 or fill out the online donation form on this site.
- We will arrange to pick up your donated car within 2 business days
- The car will be sold at a public auction and the proceeds will go to Goodwill’s job training and employment programs.
- We complete the paperwork for your tax deduction and the process is complete.
What to Have When You Call
In order to make the Goodwill car donation process go as smoothly as possible, we recommend you have the following items with you when you call:
- An original title in the donor’s name.
- A list of any damages or repairs for the vehicle and the approximate mileage.
- A list of questions you have about the process.
If you do not have a title for the vehicle, we may still be able be able to accept your donation. Just give us a call at 202-461-2057 to see what we can do for you.
- We arrange to have your donated vehicle picked up, free of charge to you, at a time that is convenient for you.
- We offer free pickup Monday through Friday from 6am-3pm in the Greater Washington area. Limited pickup is also available on Saturday.
- At the time of pickup, we will need you to provide the signed title and the keys to your vehicle.
- If you are unable to be present for the pickup you have the option of leaving the keys and title in the glove-box of the car or mailing them to us.
- At the time of pickup, we require a clear title in the donor’s name.
- The donor will need to sign and print his/her name in the seller section of the title. For instructions on how to sign your title, please see the following links:
Goodwill does not need the license plates from your donated car. Here are a few tips about handling your donated vehicle’s license plates.
- If you keep your vehicle parked on the street, we recommend that you leave your tags on your vehicle until the day of pickup.
- If you remove the tags from a vehicle that is not parked on your property, we recommend that you leave a note prominently displayed in the window that reads “Lost tags – Vehicle will be removed immediately” so the vehicle will not be towed by the city.
- If the vehicle is parked on your property, you may remove the tags before the pickup.
- Contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) after your vehicle is picked up to cancel your registration. You can use the pickup receipt as documentation that you donated your car.
Once we have picked up your donated vehicle, we will bring it to a public auto auction where it will be sold along with other donated cars, trucks, vans and other vehicles. Goodwill will receive the proceeds from the sale, which we will use to fund our job training and employment programs.
Goodwill provides you with all the tax documents you will need for your car donation! Within approximately 2 weeks after your donated car has been sold, we will mail you a letter to let you know the selling price.
- If the vehicle sells for less the $500 - You are eligible to deduct the fair market value of the vehicle up to $500.
- If the vehicle sells for more that $500 - The letter will inform you of the final selling price. This will be the amount you are eligible to deduct. In this case, we will provide you with a 1098c form for your vehicle donation, which you may use to take your deduction.
We make donating your used car quick and easy!
- The entire process will be completed in about 6 weeks from the day you call to donate your car.
- After you make the initial phone call, we will take care of the rest!
- You can get rid of your used vehicle easily while also helping members of your community secure jobs.