5 Steps to Donate a Car
Donate A Car
Want to donate a car, but don’t know where to begin? Overwhelmed just thinking about it? Have no fear — below you will find the exact step-by-step process to donate a car.
Steps To Donate A Car
1. First to donate a car, it is beneficial if you gather a couple pieces of information regarding the car before contacting Goodwill to donate a car. At the minimum to donate a car, you will need: to know the Year, Make and Model of the car; have the Title (in your name, with no liens or money owed); know whether the car is in driveable condition; and have a Phone Number and Email Address for contact purposes. It is helpful if you also are able to provide: the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN #); the Title State and Number; and any Condition Problems (flat tires, engine problems, transmission problems, body damage, etc.). You’ll want to keep all this information in one place to make the process to donate a car go as smoothly as possible.
2. Next step to donate a car. Now you are able to contact a Goodwill chapter in your area to donate a car. An easy way to find the contact information to donate a car to your local Goodwill car donation chapter is to run a Google search. When you click on their website, look for their car donation contact information because not all accept car donations. If you are having trouble finding a Goodwill with a car donation program in your area, try contacting another Goodwill chapter that you know accepts car donations (even if it is not in your area), as they most likely will be able to point you in the right direction to donate a car.
3. When you call Goodwill to donate a car, you will be asked to provide the information from Step 1, as well as: Your name; address; where the car is located; if the car is accessible by a flat bed tow truck; the color of the car; and finally, where you heard about Goodwill.
4. The next step of the process to donate a car is to set up towing for your car. Goodwill will set this up with you while you’re on the phone giving them the details about your car. Towing of your vehicle to donate a car is free for you and should happen anywhere between 24 to 48 hours after talking with Goodwill on the phone, unless otherwise specified.
5. In the last step of the process to donate a car, Goodwill will then send out a tow truck, on the day designated with you, to pick up your vehicle. You will receive two receipts for donating your car. The first you will receive when your car is picked up by the tow truck. This receipt is to be used as proof to cancel your tags or car insurance for that vehicle. The second receipt you will receive in the mail within 30 days and it is for tax purposes.
A couple of things to note about these procedures to donate a car: You have the option to be, or not be, in attendance when your car is picked up by the tow truck. However, if you decide not to be there when your car is picked up, you need to specify so to Goodwill, as well as leave your keys and the title in the car. Also, make sure to remember to take your license plates off the car before it is picked up by the tow truck when you donate a car.
Donate A Car Today
That’s it — You’re done! You now know the the exact step-by-step process to donate a car. It has never been easier to donate a car. Please take advantage of the ease to help somebody in need and donate a car today.
So why not donate a car now?